Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
USB Flash problem
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
USB Flash problem
Hello

The two ports I use for my Flash drive do not appear to be working (they work for my printer).

Do I simply update the drivers through Device Manager (please see attachment), and where would I get the drivers from, please. I think I have updated the 'USB Mass Storage Device' drivers, but not the 'Generic USB Flash Disk USB Device Drivers'.

If I update the drivers - if I can get them - through Device Manager, which item in Device Manager that refers to the Flash device do I click on?

Many thanks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2012, 02:23 PM
RE: USB Flash problem
(02-22-2012 10:49 AM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello

The two ports I use for my Flash drive do not appear to be working (they work for my printer).

Do I simply update the drivers through Device Manager (please see attachment), and where would I get the drivers from, please. I think I have updated the 'USB Mass Storage Device' drivers, but not the 'Generic USB Flash Disk USB Device Drivers'.

If I update the drivers - if I can get them - through Device Manager, which item in Device Manager that refers to the Flash device do I click on?

Many thanks.

Please perform a DriverZone Scan of your system and post the ScanID found at the bottom of the scan results here.

This will allow us to collect some additional details regarding your problem so we can further assist you.
02-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

It is: ScanID: ZC9AB452

Cheers
02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
(02-23-2012 09:34 AM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello

Thanks for your reply.

It is: ScanID: ZC9AB452

Cheers

Maddhatter said: "Sorry, having difficulty with the forum... My reply is not appearing on the board."

Sorry about that. Due to the increased usage of spam bots we have configured the forums so that all posts need to be approved before they are posted. That way we aren't constantly chasing the spam we receive and the spam posts are removed before they are visible to DriverZone visitors.

We are usually notified when someone makes a post so we can approve or delete the post, however, I did not see your posts in the last couple notifications we recieved. For that I apologize.

Anyways, back to business...

Thanks for posting your ScanID.

Based on your scan it would appear that Windows is having trouble identifying your flash drive and thus cannot load the correct driver for it. We need to figure out why.

The first thing we should do is rule out a faulty/failing flash drive.

If possible, please plug the flash drive into another computer and confirm that it works correctly there. (Preferably a computer with Windows 2000 or newer). If the flash drive works correctly on another PC please run another DriverZone scan on that computer (with the flash drive connected) and post that ScanID here as well.

From there we will continue to troubleshoot the first PC.
02-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Hello

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, all three Flash drives that I have tried on this XP machine work on other computers including a Win 7 PC and Win 7 laptop.

I will run another DriverZone scan on this XP machine this time with the Flash drive inserted and post back.

Thanks.
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Hello

I have inserted my Flash drive but the Driver Scan defaults to my previous results page when I try to do another scan, and I can't see a link about rescanning.

How would I do that?

Thanks.
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
(02-23-2012 12:49 PM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello

I have inserted my Flash drive but the Driver Scan defaults to my previous results page when I try to do another scan, and I can't see a link about rescanning.

How would I do that?

Thanks.

Based on the scan results you posted, it appeared as if the flash drive was connected at the time of the scan. In the scan results, there was an Unknown Device listed under Other Devices. From the scan we could tell that this Unknown Device was of the USB type, however Windows still can't identify what type of USB device. I believe this was one of your flash drives.

If we know that the flash drives are working on the other PCs then it is safe to say the problem lies only with this PC. In some cases the USB controllers need to be reset, or the USB controllers' settings have become corrupt.

To reset the USB controller and their driver settings, please do the following:

1.Remove all USB devices, except for a keyboard and mouse
2.Delete all USB Host Controllers from the Device Manager
3.Shut down Windows and remove the power from the back of the computer. (To properly reset the USB controllers, power needs to be removed from the motherboard. To be sure all power is removed from the motherboard, disconnect any devices that can still supply the motherboard power such as Network Cables, Phone Lines, and Monitors.)
4.Wait a minute, then reconnect your network cables, phone lines, monitors, and power, then restart the computer.
5.Let Windows redetect and reinstall the USB Host Controller drivers.
6.Once logged back into Windows and the USB Host Controller drivers have automatically been reinstalled you can plug in your flash drive. Confirm the flash drive is now working.
7. You can now reconnect any remaining USB devices.

Let us know how it goes.
02-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Hello

I followed what you said to the letter, but the Flash drive(s) are still not working. The little yellow light at the back of them lights up for a second and then goes out.

Then I get a 'balloon' pop-up message appearing near the clock which tells me 'USB Device Not Recognised'.

Cheers
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
(02-23-2012 03:06 PM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello

I followed what you said to the letter, but the Flash drive(s) are still not working. The little yellow light at the back of them lights up for a second and then goes out.

Then I get a 'balloon' pop-up message appearing near the clock which tells me 'USB Device Not Recognised'.

Cheers

"USB Device Not Recognized" is usually an indication that the USB Controllers need to be reset. Removing all power from the system for a minute or so usually does the trick. Note: One must remove all power sources with the exception of the CMOS battery, to properly reset the USB Controllers. Notebook users need to be sure to remove the laptop battery as well.

When you removed the power from the computer, are you sure that there was nothing else connected to the system that could have been providing the motherboard power? If you aren't positive, try disconnecting everything from the computer and perhaps wait a little longer before reconnecting this time, say maybe 5 minutes.

Then try again. Be sure that no USB devices are connected with the exception of a USB mouse and keyboard when restarting the PC.

If you still have trouble try cleaning the USB ports/flash drive plugs. If you have a can of Compressed Air, start by blowing any dust out of the ports and plugs. Then if you have some cotton swabs and a little rubbing alcohol: moisten the end of a cotton swab with some rubbing alcohol (don't over do it and saturate the cotton swab) and gently clean the contacts of the USB ports/flash drive plugs. Note: some cotton swabs are larger than others, and the USB ports/plugs are fairly small. Be careful not to damge the ports/plugs by forcing the cotton swab into them. USB port cleaners are available but really aren't necessary and usually run more than $15. They usually consist of a "specially" designed plug with a cleaning pad on it that you apply the cleaning "solution" (rubbing alcohol) to, and then insert the plug into the port and remove it, then repeat a few times. If you can be careful with the cotton swab you don't need the USB port cleaner. ;-)

Again, let us know how things go.
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Hello

I did as you suggested and even removed the tower completely, took off the tower case, hoovered inside it, used a little vodka with a cotton bud (the kind you clean babies' ears with) to clean the ports, but on restarting and reconnecting, I still get 'device not recognised' (for a brief moment - 2 seconds, it said 'found new hardware' before it changed to 'device not recognised').

The host controllers have reinstalled themselves on restarting the PC.

Thanks
02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
(02-24-2012 12:12 PM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello

I did as you suggested and even removed the tower completely, took off the tower case, hoovered inside it, used a little vodka with a cotton bud (the kind you clean babies' ears with) to clean the ports, but on restarting and reconnecting, I still get 'device not recognised' (for a brief moment - 2 seconds, it said 'found new hardware' before it changed to 'device not recognised').

The host controllers have reinstalled themselves on restarting the PC.

Thanks

There are only a couple more possible solutions left...

After disconnecting all USB devices expect for mouse and keyboard, try Disabling the Selective Suspend feature of the usbhub.

To do so you will need to add a setting to the Registry. Note: It is highly recommended that you backup your registry before making any changes to it. It is very important that you make the changes exactly as described, as a single wrong character entered in the wrong Registry key can result in a computer that won't boot.

1 Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2 Carefully navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub
3 Right click usbhub point to new, then select DWORD Value.
4 Type "DisableSelectiveSuspend" (without the quotes) and then press ENTER.
5 Right click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and click Modify.
6 Enter then number 1 and then click OK.
7 Restart the computer. Once back into Windows try connecting your flash drive again.

You can once again enable the Selective Suspend feature by deleting the DisableSelectiveSuspend key or setting its value to 0 (zero).

You can also use System File Checker to be sure that your Windows System Files are present and have not become corrupt. In some cases you may be required to insert the Windows Installation CD/DVD so System File Checker can copy the necessary system files to your computer. If you do not have an actual Windows Installation Disk for you OS Version you will not be able to complete the System File Checker Scan and repair.

Remove any USB devices except for mouse and keyboard before performing the SFC scan and repair.

To run System File Checker to repair or replace and missing or corrupted system files, open a command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow

Then press enter.

You will see a Windows File Protection window on the screen. When the Windows File Protection Window dissapears the SFC scan and repair process will be complete.

You can find the results from the scan and repair in Event Viewer under the System Category.

Then reboot your machine and try connecting your flash drive again.

If neither of these help, there isn't much else you can do. It is likely that the problem is caused by faulty or failing USB controllers. The next solution may be to look into an add-on USB controller card, to bypass the built-in USB controllers all together.
02-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Hello KZ

Please find attached screenshot of my registry. Which item refers to DWORD Value, please?

Thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
(02-25-2012 07:05 AM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello KZ

Please find attached screenshot of my registry. Which item refers to DWORD Value, please?

Thanks

Hello. A DWORD Value is any of the items with the type REG_DWORD. To add the new DWORD Value you can right click anywhere in the white space under the Type DWORD Value and point to New and then select DWORD Value, or you can right click on the usbhub folder point to Nee and then select DWORD Value.

The name of the new DWORD Value will be DisableSelectiveSuspend

Once you have created the DWORD Value with the name DisableSelectiveSuspend right click on it and choose Modify. Then change the Value data: field to 1 and click OK.

Then reboot the computer and test your flash drive again.

Please be sure that you see:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub in the Status Bar at the bottom left corner of Registry Editor before creating the new DWORD Value.

Hope this helps.
02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Hello KZ

Thanks for your message.

I have changed the registry and you suggested.

Basically, the Flash drive works intermittenly - one day it does, one day it does. When it doesn't I remove the USB hosts in Device Manager and restart the PC after about 15 mins and it works again.

At least this is better than it was before I posted my original message, so I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help and patience.

Best regards
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
(02-28-2012 07:35 PM)Madhatter Wrote:  Hello KZ

Thanks for your message.

I have changed the registry and you suggested.

Basically, the Flash drive works intermittenly - one day it does, one day it does. When it doesn't I remove the USB hosts in Device Manager and restart the PC after about 15 mins and it works again.

At least this is better than it was before I posted my original message, so I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help and patience.

Best regards

Glad to hear things are a little better.
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Same problem that I am facing...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)