Problem with boot-time message on Ubuntu 14.04.3
11-28-2015, 04:26 AM
Problem with boot-time message on Ubuntu 14.04.3
Hello,

I am trying to install either a Debian (jessie) or Ubuntu-Version (newest 14.04.3 Desktop i386) on my neighbour's computer, a Medion Akoya MD 97490, into an empty partition. Installing of both systems is no problem, however when I boot there are typical errormessages:

ata 2.00: status DRDY ERR .... continuously over at least half an hour (and more) ...

the pertaining system does not come up.

According to information of the internet (various platforms) I learn that possibly a VIA-chipset is responsible for this problem ... In a Microsoft platform I found the hint a chipset "mcp79mh" plus "9600m gs 512mb" whatever this means ...

My question is: can you provide a solution?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2016, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2016 08:07 AM by DriverGuru.)
RE: Problem with boot-time message on Ubuntu 14.04.3
(11-28-2015 04:26 AM)kampmannpeine Wrote:  Hello,

I am trying to install either a Debian (jessie) or Ubuntu-Version (newest 14.04.3 Desktop i386) on my neighbour's computer, a Medion Akoya MD 97490, into an empty partition. Installing of both systems is no problem, however when I boot there are typical errormessages:

ata 2.00: status DRDY ERR .... continuously over at least half an hour (and more) ...

the pertaining system does not come up.

According to information of the internet (various platforms) I learn that possibly a VIA-chipset is responsible for this problem ... In a Microsoft platform I found the hint a chipset "mcp79mh" plus "9600m gs 512mb" whatever this means ...

My question is: can you provide a solution?

Quote:It's Kernel Bug on ata ACPI. I put "options libata noacpi=1" on /etc/modprobe.d/options and the ERROR is gone.

This suggested solution to your problem from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1034762 will probably help... but it may slow down your drive access. Use a boot cd to access the filesystem; then you'll be able to change the options file.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)