Windows won't use the P2312H monitor driver in place of the PNP generic one
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Windows won't use the P2312H monitor driver in place of the PNP generic one
I switched my monitor on my desktop from to a Dell P2312H widescreen. Windows XP recognizes it as a generic plug and play monitor, and when I try (by various methods) to get it to use the P2312H driver, it says that the current driver is the best one to use. As a result, I can't get beyond 1024x768 and everything is stretched and blurry.

I already tried uninstalling all monitor drivers but Windows goes back to using the generic (2001!) driver. I tried hooking it up to my Windows 7 laptop and again it is only recognized as a low resolution PNP monitor, and Windows refuses to use the proper drivers in place of the outdated generic ones.

Any suggestions?

I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
RE: Windows won't use the P2312H monitor driver in place of the PNP generic one
(01-11-2012 09:36 AM)strummer911 Wrote:  I switched my monitor on my desktop from to a Dell P2312H widescreen. Windows XP recognizes it as a generic plug and play monitor, and when I try (by various methods) to get it to use the P2312H driver, it says that the current driver is the best one to use. As a result, I can't get beyond 1024x768 and everything is stretched and blurry.

I already tried uninstalling all monitor drivers but Windows goes back to using the generic (2001!) driver. I tried hooking it up to my Windows 7 laptop and again it is only recognized as a low resolution PNP monitor, and Windows refuses to use the proper drivers in place of the outdated generic ones.

Any suggestions?

I have bad news, and bad news for you. The problem here is not the monitor driver, but rather the graphics card which drives the monitor.

You have NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 graphics. This is very old and was designed before widescreens were invented.

There is a very small chance that the latest nvidia TNT2 driver will support your screen.. but it is more than likely you will need a new graphics card.

ScanID: Z6E95F31
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
RE: Windows won't use the P2312H monitor driver in place of the PNP generic one
(01-11-2012 12:57 PM)DriverGuru Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 09:36 AM)strummer911 Wrote:  I switched my monitor on my desktop from to a Dell P2312H widescreen. Windows XP recognizes it as a generic plug and play monitor, and when I try (by various methods) to get it to use the P2312H driver, it says that the current driver is the best one to use. As a result, I can't get beyond 1024x768 and everything is stretched and blurry.

Any suggestions?

I have bad news, and bad news for you. The problem here is not the monitor driver, but rather the graphics card which drives the monitor.

You have NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 graphics. This is very old and was designed before widescreens were invented.

There is a very small chance that the latest nvidia TNT2 driver will support your screen.. but it is more than likely you will need a new graphics card.

ScanID: Z6E95F31

Thanks for clarifying that for me. At least I know what my options are.

Cheers

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)